The cowgirl sex position is a popular sex position. In the cowgirl position,
- the man lies on his back
- the woman sits on top of him facing him, with his body between her legs, and with her groin aligned over his to facilitate penetration.
The name derives from the image of the woman "riding" the man like a cowboy rides a bucking horse.
Features of the cowgirl position:
- both partners can see one another
- they can both caress one another (but with difficulty)
- penetration is quite deep
- the woman can control the depth and intensity of penetration, and enjoy the dominant feeling of being in control
- some men enjoy the submissive feeling of being on the bottom
- many men enjoy the ability to see the woman's body
- the man is easily able to touch and caress the woman
- the man can provide the woman with clitoral stimulation by hand
Disadvantages of the cowgirl position:
- some men do not like being on the bottom
- clitoral pressure is not very intense (but see above)
As well as being enjoyable for its own vanilla sexual pleasure, this position is a good position for domination and submission games: some women like to take control of the man by holding his arms down, and some men like to take control of the woman by taking hold of her arms behind her back. Those of a switchy disposition can move from one to the other and back again.